- Where to get it? Gutenberg.org eBook, B&N/Nook, Amazon/Kindle
- How does it inspire? The book takes Dorothy and her new-found friends farther than the classic movie that we all know and love. Did you know that there was a dangerous river in Oz that the group had to cross, or that Dorothy actually met the king of the winged monkeys? I thought not. Throughout the story, children learn how friendship, loyalty, and self-confidence can help them overcome any obstacle they face.
- Where to get it? Amazon/Kindle, B&N/Nook
- How does it inspire? L'Engle, ever a brilliant story teller, gave us this masterpiece that celebrates and embraces the uniqueness of her characters. At first, the characters are shown as misfits with no understanding of what makes them special. Through their journey across both time and space to save their father, it is the extraordinary abilities of Charles Wallace and his sister Meg and the natural leadership of their school friend Calvin O'Keefe that protect the trio in their adventure.
3. A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Where to get it? Gutenberg.org eBook, B&N/Nook, Amazon/Kindle,
- How does it inspire? This one is for the slightly older children and all of us who are young enough at heart to still appreciate a story about heroes, princesses, loyalty, and, well, martians. You won't find it on many reading lists for young adults, but it is a fabulous early example of 20th century pulp fiction and offers everything from swashbuckling to air-borne ship battles. It gives the reader characters who exemplify principle, loyalty, justice, and honesty. What person, young or old, couldn't look up to a hero like that?